From stepping in to stepping out

A few weeks ago, I was indeterminately (tranlsation: permanently, for those of you who don't speak federal government jargon) appointed to the position I've been acting in for the better part of two years. I'm taking the opportunity to reflect and make adjustments to how I do things. I'm maturing in the role, settling into "owning" it in a new way. One component of this reflection is my leadership commitments project.

Dan Rockwell's blog post 10 radical shifts in thinking all leaders face talks about some of the adjustments that come from settling into a people-leadership role. Particularly relvant to me right now is Shift #9:

From how can I step in to how can I step out. Fixers struggle to make room for others. Stepping in means you’re in the way.

Stepping out has a multiplier effect. I'm only one person, but there are 17 people on my team. If they are performing and contributing to their potential that's a much greater impact than if I try to do it all. My job is to help them get there.

Stepping out builds sustainability. What would happen if I was away for a week? A month? I should be able to walk away and everyone is still able to do what needs to be done.

Stepping out can be as simple as waiting. Allow for silence, a hesitation, a stumble. Then wait another beat. That beat could be the moment of recovery, discovery, or realization. Give them a chance to get there on their own.

Stepping out empowers your people. When you get out of the way, people can discover what they are capable of.

Stepping out doesn't mean disappearing. Warren Buffet says "delegate almost to the point of abdication". Note the "almost". I can still contibute in important ways, giving my staff the tools and support to do their best work. Then they have to do it.

PS - Dan's blog is great and so is his twitter feed @leadershipfreak. Totally worth your time.

Comments

Popular Posts