"Brush your tooth!"

Growing up I lived half time with my dad and his wife, and the other half of the time with my mom and her partner Glenda. Whenever I left for Dad’s place, Glenda would rattle off a list of reminders: eat breakfast, wash your face, save your money, brush your tooth. At the time I kind of rolled my eyes or chuckled, not really understanding. At 8 and 12 and 18, I didn’t think I needed to be told do such simple tasks of self-care, but there was something comforting about her motherly ritual of fussing about me while I was gone for all of one week. I wonder how many times she told me to do those things. 500? 2000?

I’m a passionate person. I can get caught up in and swept away by things that excite me. This fire gives me energy and interest to work - hard - on things I care about; it can be contagious and draw others in. But if left uncontrolled it can be a little wild; I talk too loudly, react too quickly, work too long.

Passion and energy are positive when they inspire a drive for achievement or give meaning and direction to my choices. But they need to be channeled and balanced so they don’t take over and consume me. It’s great to put a lot of effort into work, but I can’t let myself get tunnel vision. If I miss my breaks, am late leaving the office, or neglect my friendships I’m forgetting to do the regular maintenance that will nourish me and give me strength to keep moving forward.

This commitment is about keeping things in perspective. Even when I’m away from home, or there’s lots to be done, I must hear Glenda’s voice telling me “Brush your tooth!”

Comments

Popular Posts